The book’s cover is designed to look vaguely like an old medical text and focuses exclusively on vampire films. Organized by Wallace McBride of the Collinsport Historical Society, the book also has a heavy focus on House of Dark Shadows (1970), the film following the “Dark Shadows” television run.
Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans) wrote the book’s intro, which details her four – very different – viewing experiences of House of Dark Shadows. Screenwriter Nancy Kersey also provided an epilogue essay about her experiences with Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins) and his complicated relationship with the Dark Shadows franchise.
If we could glamour you through the internet, we’d compel you to buy your copy today. Here’s a chapter list to get your blood flowing:
House of Dracula
- Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein by Patrick McCray
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula by Wallace McBride
- Dracula Has Risen from the Grave by Frank Jay Gruber
- Nosferatu (1979) by Patrick McCray
- Love at First Bite by Jessica Dwyer
- Dracula vs. Frankenstein by Patrick McCray
- Dracula (1979) by Wallace McBride
- Blacula by Patrick McCray
- Dan Curtis’ Dracula by Patrick McCray
- Dracula Untold by Patrick McCray
House of Dark Shadows
- House of Dark Shadows by Will McKinley
- House of Dark Shadows by Wallace McBride
- House of Dark Shadows by Patrick McCray
- House of Dark Shadows by Sarah Giavedoni and Jim MacKenzie of Stuff Monsters Like
- Daughters of Darkness by Marie Maginity
- Dark Shadows (2012) by Wallace McBride
The Family Tree
- Fright Night (1985) by Patrick McCray
- Fright Night (2011) by Danny Reid
- Bordello of Blood by Patrick McCray
- From Dusk Til Dawn by Patrick McCray
- Ganja and Hess by Phil Nobile, Jr.
- Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell by Desmond Reddick
- Grave of the Vampire by Wallace McBride
- Lust for a Vampire by Patrick McCray
- The Last Man on Earth by Patrick McCray
- Martin by Phil Nobile, Jr.
- Salem’s Lot by Nancy Kersey
- Shadow of the Vampire by Jonathan M. Chaffin
- Subspecies by Reid Britt
- Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat by Jessica Dwyer
- The Hunger by Patrick McCray
- The Vampire Bat by Danny Reid
- To Die For by Jessica Dwyer
- Twilight by Danny Reid
- Stakeland by Patrick McCray
- Daybreakers by Patrick McCray
- Only Lovers Left Alive by Sara Shiver McBride
The series editor is already planning an omnibus edition of all three Monster Serial books, which will be a 450-page “greatest hits” package. The project already has a commitment from Glenn McQuaid (director of I Sell the Dead, Tales from Beyond the Pales) to pen the intro.
The collection will be squarebound, designed on the outside to look like a record. It will tie into a Monster Serial audiobook that will be released on vinyl around Halloween.
More information is forthcoming, and we’ll let you know as soon as we have the details.
Need to Catch Up on Your Monster Serials?Click here to purchase your copy of Bride of Monster Serial, featuring three essays from SML.